Wednesday 06 December 2017
Magne appointed honorary doctor at the University of Agder
Magne was officially appointed to an honorary doctorate at the University of Agder on November 28. The University nominated a total of five new honorary doctors in connection with its 10th anniversary.
In parallel to his 30+ year musical career with a-ha and as composer and solo artist, Magne debuted as a visual artist in 1989. He works with paintings, graphics, ceramics, glass and sound, and his work has been represented both within Norway and internationally. He is described as one of Norway's foremost and most versatile artists.
Asked what it means to him to be appointed honorary doctor at the University of Agder, Magne says, "It's great to be seen and heard. I experience it as a recognition for a job where I have taken great risk and challenged myself." He believes that moving between musical and visual practices gives him great freedom, especially because he has a restless nature and does not want to become fixed in a one-sided expression.
In a special introduction event at the University on November 28, Magne was interviewed by associate professor at the Institute of Rhythmic Music, Karl Oluf Wennerberg, who has been a-ha's drummer for nearly 10 years.
- Universitetet i Agder - Magne Furuholmen, født 1962, musiker, komponist, billedkunstner og entreprenør
- Universitetet i Agder - Fem nye æresdoktorer ved UiA
- Universitetet i Agder - Åpent kunstnermøte med æresdoktor Magne Furuholmen
- Universitetet i Agder - En påståelig multikunstner
- NRK Sorlandet - a-ha-medlem ble æresdoktor på UIA (short TV report)
- NRK Sorlandet - Ny æresdoktor på UiA (photo)
- NRK Radio - Magne Furuholmen - æresdoktor ved UiA (audio interview)
- Adgerposten - Magne Furuholmen er blitt UiA-æresdoktor
- FVN - UiAs nye æresdoktor: – Det var på Sørlandet jeg startet min kunstneriske karrière Magne Furuholmen ble tirsdag utnevnt til æresdoktor ved UiA